International Education Financial AidThe IEFA is a database of financial aid sources for study abroad, including loans from private companies

International Education Financial AidThe IEFA is a database of financial aid sources for study abroad, including loans from private companies

B. Outside Funding Directly Applicable to SRAS Programs

personal loans for car repairs

The following opportunities are generally applicable to SRAS programs. Note that some (but not all) supported by an American university. Contact SRAS for details.

Candid is an site that helps match organizations and individuals to grant opportunities. See their search map of locations here.

Boren Scholarships and Fellowships provide funding for US students to study less commonly taught languages in world regions critical to U.S. interests. The Boren committee prefers applications for 6-12 months of study, so a summer plus one or two semesters will be optimal. Note as well that applications should focus on how your study abroad will assist you in your professional career (leave discussion of your personal life out or to a minimum). Make sure that your letters of recommendation come from nearly all academic sources (one may be from a supervisor).

Foreign Language and Area Studies Fellowships (FLAS) provides academic year and summer fellowships to institutions of higher education to assist meritorious undergraduate and graduate students of foreign languages and related area or international studies. Check with your financial aid office to see if your institution is participating.

Fulbright awards several types of grants to applicants who hold a BA, MA, or the equivalent of those degrees (but not a Ph.D.).

Gilman International Scholarship Program offers grants for US citizen undergraduates who are receiving federal Pell Grant funding at 2-year or 4-year colleges or universities.

Cohen Tucker Dissertation Fellowship provides up to $22,000 for derican citizens or permanent residents to conduct their dissertation research in Russia on topics within the scope of 19th early 21st century Russian historical studies.

Woodrow Wilson National Fellowship Foundation supports the development of future leaders at a variety of career stages in several critical fields.

ProjectGO provides funds for study abroad in critical languages for contracted or non-contracted Army ROTC, Air Force ROTC, Naval ROTC students on track to commission through ROTC from any university or college in the United States.

GI Bill can be used for study abroad if approved. To verify program eligibility and next steps to access your benefits, please consult your campus Veteran Services and/or Study Abroad office.

Gilman-McCain Scholarship provides awards of $5,000 for child dependents of active duty service members to study or intern abroad on credit-bearing programs.

Whitaker International Fellows and Scholars Program sends emerging leaders in US biomedical engineering or bioengineering overseas to undertake a self-designed project that will enhance their careers within the field.

Malevich Society Grants encourage research, writing, and other activities relating to the history and memory of Russian artist Kazimir Malevich.

Nabokov Society Grants encourage research, writing, and other activities relating to the history and works of Russian-American writer Vladimir Nabokov.

The Fund for Education Abroad (FEA) gives scholarships to individuals from groups underrepresented in study abroad and those destined for non-traditional locations.

Tortuga Backpacks Study Abroad Scholarship awards $1000 for American students enrolled full-time as an undergraduate student in good academic standing at a four-year, degree-granting college or university in the US.

The Global Studies Grants provides grants of $1000 for American students who will study abroad with a program supported by a US college or university.

Phi Kappa Phi Study Abroad grant is $1000. Any student of a university with a Phi Kappa Phi chapter is eligible (you needn’t be a member of the fraternity to apply).

International Research Experiences for Students (IRES) is run by the National Science Foundation and offers funds for international research and study to students in science and engineering fields.

The Thomas J. Watson Fellowship offer several $30,000 awards to recent college grads nominated through a Watson partner college to spend a year perusing independent, purposeful travel in international settings new to them.

Federal Student Aid (FSA) including Pell Grants, Perkins Loans, PLUS Loans, the GI Bill, and Stafford Loans can be used to study abroad if through a program approved by your university.

C. Crowdfunding

The following are three major crowdfunding sites that our students have used before to fund their study abroad. For more advice on how to use crowd funding to fund study abroad and travel, see this article.